The A’s reached the postseason last year for the first time since 2014, but projections for this upcoming season have them crashing back down to earth.Baseball Prospectus released their PECOTA projections for all 30 Major League Baseball teams Thursday morning. A 2019 finish of 80-82 is what the A’s are estimated to finish with, which is a downgrade of 17 wins from their 97-65 record from last season. The 80 wins would qualify for third in the American League West, according to the …
Transfers ‘You’ll never get an answer’ – Arnautovic plays down Man Utd links Goal 23:18 6/3/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Getty Images Transfers Manchester United West Ham United The 29-year-old would not be drawn on speculation involving his future, despite being watched by Jose Mourinho recently Marko Arnautovic has played down rumours of Manchester United interest.The Austria international attacker played a major role as he helped David Moyes’ West Ham side avoid relegation from the Premier League last seasonThe Red Devils were said to be watching him against Russia, a match his side won 1-0 , and after they stunned Germany 2-1 on Saturday, he refused to be drawn on the reports. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now “It’s nice to hear,” the 29-year-old told Vivaro News when asked about the interest of the Premier League runners up. “I’ve not heard anything from my brother, my agent. You can keep asking this question, you’ll never hear the answer from me.”Even though Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho was spotted in the stands, he would not be drawn on the Portuguese’s presence.“He was on holiday, he told you,” he protested. “I haven’t spoken to him, he was on holidays.”Arnautovic scored 11 times and created six more goals for the Hammers in the Premier League last term, despite a difficult start to the season under Slaven Bilic. Once form Man Utd boss Moyes took charge, though, he found his form, notably bagging a winner against Chelsea.
Bleacher Report.Bleacher Report and Notre Dame announced a “groundbreaking partnership” for social media content on Thursday.From Notre Dame’s release:Bleacher Report, a preeminent next generation content creation company, has reached an agreement with University of Notre Dame football for an exclusive social content partnership throughout the season. The B/R social team will be embedded with the football program in South Bend and travel with the team to road games during the entire season to create custom content for the program’s national fan base.The collaboration will consist of full behind-the- scenes access to the Notre Dame football team including practice, locker room, game day activities, home and away games, travel, academic classrooms and a wide array of student and campus life. The array of content will include a weekly video feature, Facebook Live streams, short shareable social packages and game day Snapchat takeovers, distributed across Bleacher Report’s website and Team Stream mobile app — reaching more than 250 million users — along with B/R social platforms with an audience of more than 200 million fans.At a press conference this morning, Kelly explained the benefits of partnering with B/R for his program.Brian Kelly on Bleacher Report deal: “This gives us a unique relationship that nobody else has in college football.”— JJ Stankevitz (@JJStankevitz) August 5, 2016Kelly says, flat out, the relationship with Bleacher Report allows them to reach their targeted audience. More so than the Showtime deal.— Mike Vorel (@mikevorel) August 5, 2016As I expected, Kelly says the Bleacher Report media deal requires much less time/effort than the Showtime documentary series did.— Stephen Brooks (@StephenM_Brooks) August 5, 2016Notre Dame did a documentary with SHOWTIME last season. Florida State is doing a similar documentary this season.The Fighting Irish released this video about their partnership with Bleacher Report. The start of something new.@NDFootball x @BleacherReportComing this fall… #BRxND pic.twitter.com/8dbeU1jHvN— Notre Dame Football (@NDFootball) August 4, 2016Notre Dame opens its season on Sunday, Sept. 4 against Texas.
OTTAWA – The country’s highest court has ruled that the federal government can rely on the National Energy Board (NEB) to fulfil its duty to consult Indigenous communities about development projects in their traditional territories, but only if the process is robust.In unanimous decisions in two separate appeal cases, which were heard together because of their similar issues, the court found the NEB did indeed fulfil the duty properly in one case but did not in the other.The cases go to the heart of how Indigenous consultation is required when resource development projects are proposed on their territories.The court sent a sharply worded message to the government and the NEB that proper consultation ahead of time is always better than asking the courts to undo it later.In the first case, involving the Inuit Hamlet of Clyde River in Nunavut, the court found the NEB failed miserably at fulfilling the duty to consult the Inuit regarding proposed seismic testing in and near marine areas where they have treaty rights.In the second case however the court found the NEB did properly consult the Chippewas of the Thames First Nation about an Enbridge pipeline project expansion in its territory.
The Welsh Government will ban the use of wild animals in circuses, the First Minister of Wales Carwyn Jones will announce today in a move congratulated by Animal Defenders International (ADI) who, for more than 20 years, have been documenting and campaigning to end the suffering of animals in UK circuses.A statement released this morning from the Welsh Government states “The way animals are treated is an important reflection of society and over the next 12 months, a bill will be introduced to ban the use of wild animals in travelling circuses on welfare grounds”.Jan Creamer, President of Animal Defenders International, said: “We congratulate the Welsh Government for taking a stand to stop circus suffering in Wales and bringing a UK-wide ban one step closer.”“ADI has documented suffering and abuse in UK circuses for many years. Knowing that only a ban can protect them, we are delighted an end to the use of wild animals in circuses in Wales is finally within sight.”Given the constant travel and their temporary nature, circuses cannot provide animals with adequate facilities to keep them physically or psychologically healthy. Welfare is inevitably compromised.The Welsh Government committed to ban wild animals in circuses back in 2013, stating it would seek an extension to draft legislation published for England by the UK Government. The bill however was left to gather dust for five years, the UK Government finally committing, in February, to act by January 2020. Around the world, 45 countries have already introduced prohibitions on animals in circuses including Scotland and Ireland.With a Welsh Government-commissioned report, published in 2016, finding that “Life for wild animals in travelling circuses…does not appear to constitute either a ‘good life’ or a ‘life worth living’” and in support of a ban, it was expected legislation would soon follow. ADI was disappointed when instead there was talk of regulation, which cannot ensure animal welfare and is unlikely to detect husbandry problems or physical abuse.Consulting the public on the broader issue of mobile animal exhibits last year, the Welsh Government also asked if a ban on wild animals in circuses should be considered. The response from the public, including ADI and Welsh supporters, was unsurprisingly overwhelming, with the Welsh Government stating that there was “strong support for a ban”.Most recently, during a debate in the Senedd in March, Assembly Members unanimously called for urgent action to bring in the ban, Cabinet Secretary for Energy, Planning and Rural Affairs Lesley Griffiths responding that she was “exploring opportunities to bring forward legislation”.Changing attitudes and awareness of animal suffering have seen the number of circuses with wild animals in Britain plummet. Only two remain: Circus Mondao and Peter Jolly’s Circus which are licensed in England and tour Wales. A third circus with big cats also performed in Wales when owner Thomas Chipperfield was unable to obtain a licence in England; it has remained off the road since.ADI revealed the miserable lives of Chipperfield’s lions and now one tiger. Living caged on the back of a truck, the animals are shut behind metal shutters at night, with restricted access to an outdoor exercise area during the day. ADI has also documented appalling overcrowding, fighting between animals, a worker tormenting a camel, animals kept inside for days on end, and failure to comply with government regulations at the winter quarters of Peter Jolly’s Circus.In support of ADI’s Stop Circus Suffering campaign in Wales, Hollywood star and Welsh actor Rhys Ifans slammed the use of wild animals in circuses saying, “Like bear baiting, witch burning and the ‘Welsh not’, this cruel practice belongs in the past”.
June 28, 2007 Six participants from the present workshop joined the construction team at the new Visitors Center entrance. We are behind on reporting on all the stages of construction at this location. This is the last week for this workshop and we have not been able to cover much of its activities, which is why we will jump over as yet un-reported activities and concentrate on this mornings pour. [Photo & text: sa] We are north of the Crafts III building, where the crew works on a new entrance to the Visitors Center which includes a ramp for physically challenged visitors and deliveries. The crew evened the ground and put together form work in preparation for a large slab for delivery trucks. David Tollas re-habilitated the old concrete truck and the crew was able to batch all of the concrete at one time. [Photo & text: sa] Workshop participants on this team were Beth Farnham, Michelle Fowler, In Chang Hwang, Vinny Lucciola, Cristine Morra and Jennifer Puniello. We will catch up on other stages of construction in this area. They will be posted next week. [Photo & text: sa]
March 30, 2012Soleri Vernal Equinox Event – PICNIC WITH A FISH took place last Saturday, March 24. 2012. [photos: Chihiro Saito & text: from Scottsdale Public Art Blog] [photos: Chihiro Saito & text: from Scottsdale Public Art Blog] The Soleri Bridge and Plaza on the Scottsdale Waterfront was transformed into a one of kind picnic by award-winning local artist Mary Lucking. Boxed lunches were available, or free oranges while people could sit among balloon trees in the company … … of White Amur – the fish that keep our Valley’s canals clean. This report continues on Monday with more photos.
Football governing body UEFA has awarded 2012-15 Champions League and Europa League media rights to RTVS in Slovakia and 2012-15 Europa League media rights to Nova Group in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia.Public broadcaster RTVS in Slovakia will broadcast the best Wednesday live Champions League match each match-week on’ as well as a Wednesday highlights.With regard to the UEFA Europa League in Slovakia, RTVS will show the best match live each match week followed by a highlights programme. Nova Group has been granted the rights to all remaining live matches, including the final on a co-exclusive basis, and will broadcast each match week one live match per kick-off slot on Nova Sport.In respect of the Czech Republic, further to the recent announcement of the award of the best UEFA Europa League live match each match week to public broadcaster Czech TV, Nova Group has secured the rights to all remaining matches including the final on a co-exclusive basis and will show on its channel Nova Sport one live match per kick-off slot.All rights can be exploited on the internet, via RTVS and Nova Group respective website, and on mobile.
Philippe DaumanViacom’s chief executive, Philippe Dauman, is one of five directors axed from the media giant’s board by parent company National Amusements.Five new directors have been elected to the board to replace those chopped, who comprise Dauman, George Abrams, Blythe McGarvie, Frederic Salerno and William Schwartz. Dauman does remain CEO for the time being, though he appears to be in a fight for that post as critics line up against him.The move came after National Amusements amended Viacom corporate bylaws that mean a sale of a portion or all of Paramount Pictures must be unanimously agreed by Viacom’s board of directors.Dauman and the other axed directors have launched a lawsuit against National Amusements’ latest move.Dauman has been pushing to sell a 49% stake in Paramount to pay off debts and release equity for investment, which is in opposition to statements released by National Amusements president Sumner Redstone’s camp.The new board members include Kenneth Lerer, who co-founded The Huffington Post and is chairman of BuzzFeed. Former Viacom chief Tom Freston yesterday claimed none of the previous Viacom board had practical digital media experience.Former Discovery Communications CEO Judith McHale, Eversource Energy chairman Thomas May, former DreamWorks co-COO Ronald Nelson and recently-departed Sony Entertainment president Nicole Seligman round out the new board members.They will sit alongside Viacom COO Tom Dooley, Cristiana Falcone Sorrell, Deborah Norville, Charles Phillips Jr., chairman emeritus Sumner and non-executive vice chairman Shari Redstone.The latest developments followed a series of public clashes between Dauman and National Amusements, with Redstone’s camp unhappy with the actions of the board members, who claim Sumner Redstone has been manipulated by his daughter, Shari Redstone, as his health declines, although a doctor has said he retains his mental capacity.Salerno, Viacom’s lead independent director until this week, yesterday filed a lawsuit that aims to have the board changes overturned. The suit claims Shari Redstone is the spearhead behind National Amusements’ latest moves, and aims to reduce her perceived power.“Under Mr. Redstone’s long-standing estate plan, control and management would remain independent of Shari, for whom Mr. Redstone generously provided but who he determined did not have the skills to control or manage Viacom and from whom he was bitterly estranged for many years,” Salerno said in the suit, adding the elder Redstone “specifically did not want his family to control” National Amusements or Viacom.“With his decline in health, Shari has placed Mr. Redstone’s decades-long plan to run Viacom as an independently controlled and professionally managed company in jeopardy,” the suit added.“Sensing an opportunity presented by her father’s severely impaired mental and physical condition, and unsatisfied with the limited role for her at her father’s companies that he envisioned, Shari has implemented a scheme to wrest control of Viacom in contravention of Mr. Redstone’s well-established desires.”National Amusements, which owns 79.8% of Viacom’s voting stock and 10% of the overall equity, said the new board would elect a new chairman, and “evaluate the current management and take whatever steps it deems appropriate to ensure that Viacom has in place strong, independent and effective leadership”.Dauman and Abrams have already been removed from the National Amusements board of trustees and Redstone family trust, which will ultimately decide Viacom’s future after the 93-year-old Sumner Redstone retires or passes away.An SEC filing this morning revealed Dauman and Abrams would use Viacom shareholder cash to foot the legal and PR bill in their fight to be reinstated to the National Amusements board of trustees.
Liberty Global is to sell its central and eastern European DTH business to international pay TV operator M7 Group for €180 million.Liberty’s DTH satellite operations currently serve four central and eastern European markets: Hungary under the UPC Direct Brand, the Czech Republic and Slovakia under the freeSAT brand and Romania under the FocusSat brand.Liberty served 774,000 customers across the four brands, as of September this year, with about 11,000 customers also taking internet services. The overall number represented a loss of 4,100 customers in the third quarter.M7 Group said that the agreement would enable it to gain further scale and increase its top line by about 30% post-acquisition.Bill Wijdeveld, M7 Group’s business development director, told DTVE that the group expected the deal to secure approval in the first quarter and that he did not envisage any significant regulatory issues emerging in the two markets in which M7 already has a presence.Wijdeveld said it was “too early to comment” on whether M7 would fold the existing Liberty Global operations into its own DTH brand in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, but said the group was “quite confident that this will provide a good base to grow in the region”.Wijdeveld said was too early to make any comment on what impact the acquisition would have on the group’s commercial offering in the region.He said that the deal would give M7 the opportunity to expand its hybrid strategy, launched a year ago. He said that hybrid services were now being used by about 15-20% of M7’s overall subscriber base, “which is promising, and we see great potential to further grow the offer in the two markets [the Czech Republic and Slovakia] and extend it to Hungary and Romania”.M7 currently operates its Skylink service in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The group also operates DTH services in the Netherlands, French-speaking Belgium and Austria.Liberty has already agreed to sell its fixed-line operations in central and eastern Europe – outside of Poland – to Vodafone, and the M7 agreements means that it will now only be present in Poland, where Vodafone does not have a presence, across the CEE region.Merrill Lynch International acted as financial advisor to Liberty Global.Commenting on the implications of this latest divestment for Liberty Global, media and telecom analyst Paolo Pescatore said he saw this as a “further sign of the company seeking to exit the European market” in the wake of the sale of its German and CEE fixed business to Vodafone, the sale of its Austrian unit to T-Mobile and the much-speculated on potential divestment of its Swiss business in the near future. Liberty Global CEO Mike Fries has long claimed that the company’s share price is undervalued and the management are under some pressure to provide a return to shareholders.Pescatore said that consolidation of the European cable market had proved costly and integrating the various operating businesses had been a struggle, while subscriber growth had been “lacklustre” and cross-selling of products to its existing base had met with limited success.“Convergence does offer plentiful opportunities but [Liberty’s] strategy across Europe is not working. It needs to return value back to shareholders. Organic growth is challenging and most new subscribers seem to be coming from new build, focussed on cable broadband, but not coming fast enough,” he said.