Jan 23, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – A 36-year-old Chinese woman was in critical condition in Chengdu City, suffering from what the Chinese authorities announced today was the country’s 10th human case of H5N1 avian flu, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.The woman, whose surname is Cao, is from Sichaun province in southwest China, AFP noted. She fell ill on Jan 12; tests confirmed her H5N1 infection on Jan 17.The Chinese ministry did not explain whether there was a poultry outbreak in her area. People who have had close contact with the woman are under observation but have shown no signs so far, according to AFP.Xinhua, the Chinese government news service, announced today that the country had seen 32 outbreaks of highly pathogenic avian flu in 13 provinces during 2005 but that quarantine has now been lifted in 31 affected areas. The Xinhua report did not make it clear if each outbreak was considered an affected area.Chinese Vice-Premier Hui Liangyu today pushed for continued efforts across China to prevent and control avian flu, particularly in light of increased travel and celebrations linked to the Chinese Lunar New Year, which begins Jan 29. He called for better monitoring, better prevention, and improved quarantine measures. World Health Organization (WHO) spokespeople also have emphasized the importance of effective surveillance of poultry. Roy Wadia, the WHO Beijing spokesman, said in the AFP report that “human cases should not be the sentinels for animal outbreaks.”The recent outbreaks of bird and human H5N1 cases in Turkey illustrates the problem, as Lee Jong-Wook, director-general of the WHO, told the WHO executive board at the start of a week-long meeting in Geneva.”The turkey experience demonstrates the dangers posed by avian influenza in birds and the vital importance of surveillance and effective early warning systems,” he said today, according to a Reuters news service story. “A pandemic could arise with little or no warning from the animal side.”Lee also defended the agency. “Concern has been expressed that we are overplaying this threat. We are not,” he said in his opening speech. “We can only reduce the devastating human and economic impact of a pandemic if we all take the threat seriously now and prepare thoroughly. This is a global problem.”Underscoring Lee’s remarks was a report that the Turkish Agriculture Minister, Mehdi Akar, has claimed that some of Turkey’s neighboring countries also are home to the H5N1 virus but have been concealing it, according to an AFP story.US experts in animal and human epidemiology were slated to visit Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Georgia, which border parts of Turkey hit with H5N1 outbreaks, according to the AFP story. No outbreaks have been reported in those countries.In addition, officials in northern Iraq were taking emergency measures to prevent avian flu after a girl died, according to the United Nations Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN).A WHO spokesman confirmed that the teen did not have H5N1 infection. “We have totally discounted the possibility of an avian influenza infection,” WHO’s Dick Thompson said in the IRIN story. “But we can’t take away the possibility of an appearance in Iraq, as many cases have been reported in Turkey.”Also today, the WHO confirmed that two members of an Indonesian family did die of H5N1 infection, Indonesian authorities had announced last week. That raised Indonesia’s tally to 14 deaths and 19 cases, according to the case count table, updated today.Two other family members—a 14-year-old girl and the family’s 43-year-old patriarch—remain hospitalized with respiratory symptoms, the WHO said. Samples from those two patients are being tested, and the family cluster remains under investigation.The Jakarta Post reported on Jan 21 that an 11-year-old girl who is suspected of having H5N1 was a distant neighbor of the two children whose infections have just been confirmed by WHO.”Similar to the two deceased children, the new patient had also been in contact with dead fowl near her house,” said Hadi Yusuf, a health official, in the newspaper report. Samples from the girl are being tested.See also:WHO announcement on Indonesian cases http://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_01_23/en/index.html
Share News Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake by: – March 11, 2011 Tweet Share Share Sharing is caring! 26 Views no discussions A massive earthquake has hit the north-east of Japan, triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage. Japanese television showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away by a vast wall of water after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake. The quake has sparked fires in several areas including Tokyo. At least 32 people were killed, officials said. It struck about 250 miles (400km) from the capital at a depth of 20 miles. There have been powerful aftershocks. The tremor, measured at 8.9 by the US Geological Survey, hit at 1446 local time (0546 GMT). Seismologists say it is one of the largest earthquakes to hit Japan for many years.When the earthquake hit, buildings in Tokyo swayed. Walking was like crossing the deck of a ship at sea. People poured down from their offices and stood in the street staring up. A large fire seemed to have broken out in one part of the city and, in another place, injured people were being brought out of a station. The authorities immediately issued a tsunami warning. In Tokyo, public transport has been suspended, elevators are switched off in many buildings and thousands of people have gathered in squares and around train stations.A tsunami warning was extended across the Pacific to North and South America. The Red Cross in Geneva warned that the tsunami waves could be higher than some Pacific islands, Reuters news agency said. Coastal areas in the Philippines, Hawaii and other Pacific islands were evacuated ahead of the tsunami’s expected arrival. New Zealand later downgraded its alert to a marine threat, meaning strong and unusual currents were expected.Wall of waterStrong waves hit Japan’s Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, officials said, damaging dozens of coastal communities. Kyodo news agency said a 10-metre wave (33ft) struck the port of Sendai in Miyagi. Japan’s NHK television showed a massive surge of debris-filled water sweeping away buildings, cars and ships and reaching far inland. Motorists could be seen trying to speed away from the wall of water. Farmland around Sendai was submerged and the waves pushed cars across the runway of the city’s airport. Fires broke out in the city’s centre. Another fire was reported to be burning in the turbine building of the Onagawa nuclear plant in Miyagi prefecture.The UN’s nuclear agency said four nuclear power plants had shut down safely. Prime Minister Naoto Kan said there had been no radiation leaks. Police and local officials said at least 32 people had been killed in the earthquake and tsunami. It is believed the death toll could rise significantly. A ship carrying 100 people was swept away, Japanese media reported, quoting police in Miyagi. It is not clear what happened to the ship and its passengers. In Iwate prefecture, also near the epicentre, an official said it was difficult to gauge the extent of the destruction. “Roads were badly damaged and cut off as the tsunami washed away debris, cars and many other things,” said Hiroshi Sato, a disaster management official in Iwate.The earthquake also triggered a massive blaze at an oil refinery in Ichihara city in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo, engulfing storage tanks. There were reports of about 20 people injured in Tokyo after the roof of a hall collapsed on to a graduation ceremony. Residents and workers in Tokyo rushed out of apartment buildings and office blocks and gathered in parks and open spaces as aftershocks continued to hit. Many people in Tokyo said they had never felt such a powerful earthquake. In central Tokyo, Jeffrey Balanag said he was stuck in his office in the Shiodome Sumitomo building because the elevators had stopped working. “There’s no panic but we’re almost seasick from the constant rolling of the building,” he told the BBC.Bullet train services to northern Japan were halted and rapid transit in Tokyo was suspended, stranding many workers in the city centre. Narita airport outside Tokyo was initially closed but later opened for departing flights. About four million homes in and around Tokyo suffered power outages. In a televised address, Mr Kan extended his sympathy to the victims of the disaster and said an emergency response headquarters had been set up.Source: BBC News
John Thomas Williams, 57, of Dillsboro, Indiana passed away Friday October 11, 2019 at Mercy West Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio surrounded by his family.John was born on January 17, 1962 in Cincinnati, Ohio and was the son of the late Thomas and Virginia (Carrier) Williams.He is survived by two sons: Jeremy (Jessica) and Dustin Williams. One grandson, Camden Williams. One granddaughter, Alexandria Trembly. One sister, Sharon (Dave) Conn and three brothers: Danny (Kelly), Andrew (Melanie) and Robert Williams.Friends and family will be received at Filter-DeVries-Moore Funeral Home in Dillsboro on Monday October 14, 2019 from 5-7 p.m. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. on Tuesday October 15, also at the funeral home. Burial will follow in Oakdale Cemetery in Dillsboro. Memorials may be given in honor of John to Dillsboro Life Squad or P.A.W.S. Filter-DeVries-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, 12887 Lenover Street, Dillsboro, IN 47018, (812)432-5480. You may go to www.filterdevriesmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.
Ares Esport on first glance is what looks like a new launch in which gamers will be encouraged to sign-up and compete in CS:GO, League of Legends, Dota 2 and Hearthstone to be chosen as a professional gamer.Now, that sounds all fine and dandy – but what does it mean? Who’s behind this venture and will players that compete and win really become professional gamers?The list of sponsors and ambassadors is amongst the most illustrious in esports. It includes a huge array of professional footballers as well as other celebrities. It’s safe to say that between them, there’s likely to be no issues with funding. Ambassadors.@dembabafoot, @nglkante, @MoussaSissoko, Yannick Ferreira Carrasco and ?#AresEsport pic.twitter.com/3MgBWGM25B— ARES-Esport (@TeamAresEsport) May 23, 2017The above tweet teases but a few, with Demba Ba, N’Golo Kanté, Moussa Sissoko and Yannick Ferreira Carrasco, all notable names included. The website reveals all of the names: Florentin Pogba, Saint Etienne;Sofiane Feghouli, West Ham United;Moussa Sissoko, Tottenham Hotspur; Mathias Pogba, Sparta Rotterdam;Yannick Ferreira Carrasco, Athletico Madrid;Wendie Renard, Lyon;N’Golo Kanté, Chelsea;Riyad Mahrez, Leicester City;Mario Lemina, Juventus.It also lists Larry and Laurent Bourgeois who are both actor, models, dancers and singers. It leaves a gap, as does the tweet, suggesting a “boss” is coming. No further details have been revealed. Whilst there was a press conference a couple of days ago, intricate details remain scarce. Ares Concept.#AresEsport pic.twitter.com/UIGF0uTlhp— ARES-Esport (@TeamAresEsport) May 23, 2017Working from the above tweet, it seems as if Ares is looking for a team in each of the big three titles plus a Hearthstone player. It suggests that each team will be supported by two of the sponsors. The maths doesn’t quite add up as there’s way more than eight sponsors listed and they’re supposedly only putting forward four teams. Registration is set to get underway on June 1st and one would assume further details will be released thereafter. It seems as if it’s being done in collaboration with the “World Gaming Federation”, a social platform for gamers. The WGF has been promoting it through social media and they hosted the press conference. There’s a video of the press conference in which ARES is described as esports activists, although the translation is fairly bad. It’s the pinned post on the Facebook page here. It does reveal that it will be hosted and registration will be required through the WGF website. The press conference goes on to reveal there will be regional qualification before a “big final league” which will take place in Paris. The Grand Final is set to be at the end of November. It also says “more information will be available on the website” – but there’s not much there. Esports Insider says: Interesting. Make of it what you will. It seems a little odd, and one can rest assured that most of these sponsors probably have no idea about the very essence of esports. The World Gaming Federation is quite the name for a social platform as well.
“We might be two wins away from the league but to be honest, I am not thinking about the title, they (players) are not thinking about the title. We need to keep playing like we have with the same passion and enthusiasm for all the remaining seven games,” Kerr told Capital Sport.Mathare United chairman Bob Munro had to intervene to convince Francis Kimanzi to go to the stands after being sent off. PHOTO/raymond MakhayaK’Ogalo faces Mathare United on Saturday afternoon at the Thika Sub-County Stadium. Coincidentally, on the same venue on April 30, Mathare beat Gor 1-0, the last time the Green Army lost a Kenyan Premier League clash.Kerr knows it will not be a walk in the park against the Slum Boys especially with the playing surface expected to pose a huge challenge with the current rains.“Mathare is a very good team. I have watched them play and I know they pose a lot of danger. They are a team fighting relegation and that makes them a very dangerous opponent. We need to go in there with a lot of caution and above all play like we have done the past few matches,” the tactician further noted.Mathare will be under pressure as they look to climb off the relegation zone as they have 27 points, three away from safety and history will be hugely stacked against them as they play in Thika.-Head-to-head-Gor Mahia striker Meddie Kagere celebrating after scoring the opener against Tusker FC. Photo/GOR MAHIAThey have only beaten Gor twice in 17 meetings, the April win coming eight years since the last time they won against K’Ogalo.Heading into the tie, Mathare has not won over the last five games, losing three and drawing two. Another loss at the hands of the title-chasing Gor would dampen their search for a survival ticket.A win would propel them to 30 points, same as 14th placed Zoo Kericho who will still enjoy a spot above due to their goal difference. Zoo will be hosting Ulinzi Stars at their Kericho Green Stadium backyard hoping to complete a double over the soldiers after beating them 2-1 in the first leg.However, arguably the biggest battle of this weekend’s Kenyan Premier League clashes will be down at the Moi Stadium in Kisumu when Western Stima hosts Thika United in a bottom of the table cock-fight.Thika United head coach Nicholas Muyoti gives instructions to his team at half time during their match against AFC Leopards on September 20 2017. Photo/TIMOTHY OLOBULUThe two sides are only separated by goal difference at 16th and 17th respectively in the standings and whoever wins on Sunday will move closer to avoiding relegation.Thika are boosted with the return of defenders Collins Okumu and Sammy Mejja while striker Onwudi Chibueze has been declared 100 percent fit to come in and aid head coach Nicholas Muyoti’s low firing frontline.“Having the three players is a relief for us ahead of this very important game. It is a crucial one and for us, the remaining seven games are of life and death. We need to give 100 percent and pick every point on the way. We have faith of surviving,” Muyoti said.The first leg played at the Thika Sub-County Stadium ended 1-1 but the return leg in Kisumu is expected to be feisty.-Relegation battle-Of the last 17 meetings between the two sides, Thika has won only three while Stima have won five, the rest ending in draws. The odds will be stacked against Thika with not only their not-so-decent record against Stima, but their away record this season as well.They have failed to win any of their 14 matches away from home this season, losing nine and drawing the rest.In other fixtures to be played this weekend, AFC Leopards will face Posta Rangers at the Narok Stadium with the hope of picking three points to boost their top five ambitions.Rangers on their side go into the tie having drawn all their last five matches while their winless streak runs down to 10 games. The last time they tasted victory was a 1-0 victory over Tusker FC in August.KPL weekend fixtures;Saturday: AFC Leopards v Posta Rangers (Narok Stadium), Bandari v Sofapaka (Mbaraki Complex, Mombasa), Kariobangi Sharks v Chemelil Sugar (Kasarani Stadium), Mathare United v Gor Mahia (Thika Stadium), Zoo Kericho v Ulinzi Stars (Kericho Green Stadium).Sunday: Kakamega Homeboyz v Nakumatt (Mumias Complex), SoNy Sugar v Nzoia Sugar (Awendo), Tusker FC v Muhoroni Youth (Ruaraka), Western Stima v Thika United (Moi Stadium, Kisumu).0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr conducts a training session.NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 13- Gor Mahia are just two wins away from a record 16th Kenyan Premier League crown with seven rounds of matches left, but for someone who has never won a league title in his entire coaching career, the excitement is miles away from jolting him into celebration.Dylan Kerr, the Gor tactician says he is not letting himself carried away and has copy-pasted the same message to his players, instead urging them to keep the focus and ensure they don’t drop the pot at the door step.