BYC Maintains Winning Form

first_imgLFA Champions BYC on Friday continued their winning form in the Celcom National league with a 2-0 win over ELWA United at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium. The Go Blue Boys got the opener through midfielder Claudia Morris in the 6th minute through an assist from striker Mark Paye.The goal was Morris’s second of the season. He got his first goal against Jubilee FC in the 4-0 victory at the Blue field.BYC continued their dominance and striker Paye came close with a header, but missed.Goalkeeper Morris Tarr of BYC was substituted in the 15th minute due to injury sustained on his angle.ELWA United resumed the second session stronger and almost found the equalizer. After conceding the second goal, United slowed down their attacks.The goal came from striker Paye in the 56th minute. But BYC in the 66th minute went down to 10 men after Mark Paye got a red card.The red card created space for ELWA United, but BYC maintained their defense with frequent counter offensives, which Coach Cooper Sannoh embraced.“Though we went down to ten men, you saw that we were still caring on attacks that kept our opponents under pressure,” Coach Sannoh told reporters.He said the absence of Mark Paye in their next match is not going to have any effect on his team. “Our team is not built on one player,” he added.The result puts BYC in the second position on the league table, equal with league leaders FC Fassel, who secured their third successive win against bottom side Invisible Eleven (IE), that is yet to get a point – the same as Barrolle.In other results, LISCR FC moved on to 4th position after sharing points with LPRC Oilers, while Keitrace that are also yet to concede a defeat got their first three points by beating Watanga FC 1-0 at the ATS on Saturday.Other results: Monrovia Club Breweries and Nimba United shared points at the ATS (1-1 draw).Oilers are now in the 7th place with 4 points out of three games; Keitrace in the 5th place with 5 points, while Watanga, MC Club Breweries and Nimba United find themselves in the 8th (3pts), 6th place (4 pts) and 10th place (2 pts), respectively.The league continues on Dec. 22 with several encounters.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

City Hall delays commercial construction – businessman tells CoI

first_imgThe Mayor and City Council (M&CC) had been in the spotlight for the past few days, as it relates to its failure to grant business applications for construction and pending documents which were never approved.The issue has affected the operations of many businessmen who took the opportunity to testify at the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) so that their matters can be resolved.Malcolm Panday served as a witness on Friday, where it was heard that he was facing a similar problem. It surrounded the intention of constructing a modern eight-storey building on a Water Street property, which currently houses a structure that is popularly known as the ‘zinc bond’.After being granted approval by the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) 13 years ago, Panday told the Commission that he could not commence construction because the City Hall has refused to give permission to cordon off the perimeter of land.“The office has for years repeatedly refused to give me the usual and necessary permission to cordon off the areas along the perimeter of the land approved for building,” he said in a statement, which was submitted as evidence.Despite being engaged several times, he noted that no action had been taken by the City Hall since the vendors outside the bond were authorised by the Council to ply their trades in close proximity to the property. As such, finalised documents would mean that the M&CC would have to relocate the payment merchants.“Permission is not forthcoming because the M&CC has vendors occupying the perimeter of the four sides of the land approved for the construction; North pavement (Regent Street), West pavement (Water Street), South pavement (South Street) and the East pavement (West Alley). These vendors are blocking the four sides of my ‘Zinc Bond’ and denying me ingress and egress.”Since 2007, Panday expressed that he would’ve offered to facilitate the movement of the vendors. However, no actions were taken. The businessman noted that he is unable to start the works since persons can be hurt and their stalls can cave in when the foundation is dug.“The vendors on my land were able to make a good living and within that 13 years, not having to pay rent, nor rates and taxes, they built good foundations, acquiring assets like house and land, vehicles…”Another affair of concern was the struggles that many enterprises are faced with in relation to parking. It was underscored that offloading of goods has been difficult since vehicles are occupying the spaces in front of these stores.Just a few days ago, the Chief Executive Officer of Camex Restaurants, Terence Campbell, had blasted City Hall for failing to approve numerous applications for respective properties. Campbell hinted that he was told that a bribe could fix the situation to which he responded that such acts would not be engaged.last_img read more

Taylor hosting golden competition

first_imgAn annual gold panning competition in Taylor is just around the corner.The 39th annual Gold Panning Competition begins Saturday, July 30, with the event taking place all weekend long and wrapping up on Sunday evening.- Advertisement -The event begins Saturday morning at 10 a.m. with a parade, which will start at the community hall, then continues at Peace Island Park.The competition kicks off Saturday afternoon, with a media/celebrity category, a Juvenile category and a Class “B” category. The winner of the Class “B” event earns an automatic spot in Sunday’s Class “A” event.Each competition is based on a 3 round point scoring system, where competitors are awarded points for both speed and accuracy.Saturday’s festivities continue with a steak BBQ at 6 p.m., a bannock baking competition at 7 p.m. and will conclude with a movie under the stars at 8:30.Advertisement On Sunday, the day begins bright and early with an 8 a.m. pancake breakfast and the Class “A” World Championships beginning at 1:30 p.m.For more information, please contact Event Coordinator Sheena Taillefer at 250-263-8289.last_img read more

Bertram Collins College student crushed by truck

first_imgAn 18-year-old cyclist is now dead and his pillion rider was injured after the motorcycle they were riding collided with a truck at Industrial Estate, Ruimveldt, Greater Georgetown.The scene of the accident on Tuesday eveningDeshon Morris of Lot 4 East La Penitence, Georgetown was pronounced dead on the spot while Keon Granville, 27, of Phase 2 Lot 1 East Ruimveldt was treated and sent away.Based on information received, the accident occurred at about 20:00h and involved motorcycle CJ 6021 and motor lorry bearing registration number GTT 2073 with trailer number TEE 6391 owned by Muneshwers Limited.Police preliminary reports stated that the motorcycle was proceeding north and as the truck approached the intersection in the vicinity of National Hardware, the driver failed to stop.Dead: Deshon MorrisAs such, the vehicle ended up into the path of the motorcycle. As a result of the collision, both Morris and Granville fell onto the roadway and received injuries about their bodies. Morris was subsequently pronounced dead.Guyana Times understands that the young man was a student of Bertram Collins Collage. He was reportedly heading home when the accident occurred. The truck was laden with pipes.Nevertheless, the young man’s body is at the Georgetown Public Hospital Mortuary awaiting a Post-Mortem.At the scene, the mother and other relatives of the dead teenager were inconsolable. The driver of the truck was taken into Police custody and is assisting with investigations.last_img read more

Local group advocates for LNG development in northern B.C.

first_imgThe group is planning rallies to take place soon, and will be making more announcements with time to come. While he feels many residents of Fort St. John, he says residents of the Peace Region are affected in some way by natural resource development, whether they’re for LNG or not.Some against LNG say its an unsafe, potentially dangerous way to transfer natural gas that can be harmful to the environment, but Yu disagrees.“With an oil pipeline, if there’s a leak it goes straight into the ground and its going to be an ecological disaster,” he said. “But not with natural gas.”“Any carbon footprint that they say will be generated by this LNG plant will be offset by the carbon savings that will be done throughout the world.”Advertisement FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — A group of local residents is advocating for more demand on LNG development in the north.Founder Alan Yu created the group in December, when he knew he was going to be laid-off from his job as a two-way radio programmer and when he started to see the economy declining locally.It’s mostly based on Facebook right now, with over 300 members, but will be creating a bigger presence for itself in time.- Advertisement -“It is in our best economic interest for us to export natural gas,” he told Energetic City.One project he and the group are voicing their support for is the Pacific NorthWest LNG project, which would be built off the north coast near Prince Rupert, if approved. The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency recently started an environmental assessment on the project. The pipeline would run west-to-east, and stop just short of Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope.“We have to do this now, because right now we are only exporting via pipeline to the United States,” he said. “Sooner or later, the United States will be self-sufficient when it comes to oil and natural gas, and we will be stuck with less production if that happens.”Advertisementlast_img read more

`Ex-French official’ may have faked interviews

first_imgBy John Leicester THE ASSOCIATED PRESS PARIS – The French Defense Ministry on Friday debunked the credentials of a former ABC News consultant who claimed to have worked as an adviser to the ministry, saying the man was just an intern for five months. Alexis Debat, who was fired by the TV network last year, quit a Washington think tank on Wednesday after being accused of faking an interview with Barack Obama. Previously, he had been identified in stories by a range of media, including The Associated Press, as a former French Defense Ministry official or analyst. The National Interest, an online publication he wrote for, identified him as a “former adviser to the French minister of Defense on Transatlantic affairs.” But the ministry said Friday that the only trace it could find of Debat in its records was a five-month internship at a ministry advisory office in 2000 and one month of military service. Debat never served in an office directly under the defense minister and there was no sign that he worked as an official in other branches of the military, said Col. Patrick Chanliau, a Defense Ministry spokesman. “He was never a functionary,” he said. “In 2000, he did five months as an intern at the Delegation for Strategic Affairs. There you go. That’s all I have.” That office is under the direct authority of the defense minister, advising on geopolitical and strategic affairs. Ministry interns are often young students “who come here to discover a profession or to complement a course they are following,” he said. “To go from that to presenting oneself as an adviser to the minister ? There is no such thing as intern adviser to the minister.” ABC News fired Debat because he could not authenticate his academic credentials. He is now at the center of a dispute over apparently faked interviews with Barack Obama, Bill Gates, Nancy Pelosi and others. Debat acknowledged to the AP on Thursday that he never conducted any of the interviews published under his byline. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

DONE DEAL! Celtic land Republic of Ireland winger Jonny Hayes from Aberdeen

first_imgIrishman Hayes was the only non-Celtic player to feature on the Scottish Professional Footballers’ Association player of the year shortlist.“I’m delighted,” he told celticfc.net.“It’s been in the pipeline for a little while now but I’m pleased to finally get here. I was eager to get it over the line for the last few weeks.“Celtic have done well over the last few seasons and with the manager (Brendan Rodgers) coming in last year he raised the level again. It was hard last year seeing all the celebrations and all the stuff on social media and you want that for yourself and to be part of it.“Now it’s my chance and hopefully, going forward, I can create my own little bit of history and take the chance I’ve been given.”Hayes admits the prospect of playing Champions League football was one of the big attractions of moving to the Glasgow giants.“You can’t get away from the Champions League,” he said.“I can imagine it is the reason many players have wanted to come here. Not only is it the size and stature of the club, Champions League nights and the atmosphere are a massive factor in wanting to come here.“Whether you’re a football fan or not, everybody knows about the atmosphere of Champions League nights at Celtic Park. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want a part of that.” 1 Celtic have signed Jonny Hayes on a three-year contract from Aberdeen.Hayes, who opened the scoring against the Hoops in the Scottish Cup final last month before ending up on the losing side, has been a key player for the Dons since joining them from Inverness in 2012.Ryan Christie will join Aberdeen from Celtic on a season-long loan.The deals were announced on the Scottish Premiership champions’ official website. 📝 #HayesisaCelt!Irish internationalist Jonny Hayes signs for #CelticFC on a three-year deal. Welcome, Jonny!➡️ https://t.co/jyWbyidsVY pic.twitter.com/TF1YrjBpmv— Celtic Football Club (@CelticFC) June 17, 2017//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js Jonny Hayes scored 11 goals for Aberdeen last season last_img read more

SOCCER LEGEND PADDY GETS FREEDOM OF DONEGAL

first_imgFORMER Celtic and Man United great Paddy Crerand has spoken of how humbled he was to be given the Freedom of Donegal.Members of his extended family were in the council chamber on Friday as Mayor Frank McBrearty presented the honour.Pat Crerand was born to Irish immigrants in the Gorbals area of Glasgow on 19 February 1939. His father was Michael Crerand from Newtownstewart, County Tyrone and his mother was Sarah ‘Tim’ Boyle from Gaoth Dobhair, where he spent much of his childhood. He married Noreen Ferry, a Scottish girl also of Irish descent, in 1963. They have three children, Patrick, Lorraine and Danny. He also has eight grandchildren.After six years at Celtic (120 appearances, 5 goals), he signed for Manchester United on 6 February 1963, and went on to win league and European honours.The Mayor, elected members and staff of the Council will be joined by Mr. Crerand, his family and invited guests at this special event which will recognise his connection to Donegal as well as all the wonderful achievements both on and off the field throughout the years.Said Mayor McBrearty: “It was a huge honour for me personally and for the council representing the people of Donegal to honour a true sporting legend. “In the year of the Irish Gathering and valuing our Donegal diaspora it is an honour for us to recognise those overseas with a connection to Donegal and how their connection has shaped their lives and achievements.“Paddy is an absolute gentleman who has never forgotten his Donegal roots and his family were so proud of him.” SOCCER LEGEND PADDY GETS FREEDOM OF DONEGAL was last modified: June 8th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:SOCCER LEGEND PADDY GETS FREEDOM OF DONEGALlast_img read more

Vipers sign former SC Villa, Express defender

first_img Tags: Henry KatongoleSC Villavipers sc Henry Katongole posses for the Camera’s at his unveiling as a Vipers’ player (photo by Vipers’ media)Vipers Sports Club has completed the signing of former SC Villa defender Henry Katongole.Katongole’e move had been blocked by his former side who claimed he was still contracted to them.He is believed to have signed a two year deal that will see him at the St. Mary’s Stadium until the close of the 2019/20 season.The defender has now been declared a free agent by the FUFA players’ status committee before Vipers confirmed him via their official website;Following lengthy fact finding inquiries in regard to contract issues with his previous club, the committee finally ruled in the player’s favour hence declaring him a free agent due to bleached provisions within what was agreed with previous employers, read the statement.The transfer’s financial details have not been disclosed though it’s believed the Venoms beat other rival top flight clubs to the player’s signature.The defender comes with experience which the Venoms will be surely banking on both in the domestic competitions as well as the CAF champions’ league this season.Katongole has previously played at Express FC where he won the 2011/12 league and SC Villa from 2015-2018.He joins a long list of new signings as Tito Okello, Livingstone Mulondo, Abraham Ndugwa, Ibrahim Kiyemba, Dickens Okwi, among others.Comments last_img read more

Young woman hospitalised after crash in East Donegal

first_imgA woman in her twenties has been transported to Letterkenny University Hospital following a road traffic collision between Killygordon and Stranorlar this morning (Mon). Emergency services attend the scene before transferring one female to hospital for treatment on minor injuriesThe N15 road in east Donegal was blocked in both directions following the crash – it has since re-opened. Young woman hospitalised after crash in East Donegal was last modified: July 22nd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more